Cold days can be hard for your four legged friend. It is essential to keep your pooch safe and protect against the cold. Different animals require different care. Just like, small animal needs special care and attention rather than the larger ones. If you are thinking about to go on vacations with your furry friend, pre-heat your vehicle and after that put him in the car.
The winter season brings several hidden dangers to your pet. Yes, it is obvious to bring your pets inside when it is cold out. There are a number of things to consider to keep your pooch warm and healthy during the cold season.
- Do not keep your pooch outdoors: During the summer season, you go for a walk with your dog every day. But you need to change this schedule for this upcoming season. According to professional vets, if you are taking your furry friend out, you need to take some important steps so that you can keep him healthy and safe during the severe season.
- Don’t forget the feet: How you would feel if you have to walk on the icy floor in your bare feet? It is very hard to walk on the icy ground. Ice found in streets, driveways and sidewalks can be dangerous to your four legged friend’s paws. Think ahead by purchasing booties for your pet to wear outside. When your dog comes back inside, don’t forget to wipe your pet’s paws.
- Bathe your pet as little as possible: Washing your dog too often can remove essential oils and increase the chances of developing flaky and dry skin. If your dog like to bathe on a daily basis, ask your vet to recommend a moisture soap and shampoo.
- Stay smart when outside: When you go outside and your teeth are chattering, the chances are that your pooch are too. If you have a very young dog or a puppy, keep a pee pad inside for the very coldest of days. Always look your puppy very closely. Do not allow your furry friend to eat too much snow, it can cause stomach upset in large amounts.
- Provide him healthy food: During the winter season, dogs need more calories to stay warm. Feed your dog a little more in this season. Make sure he does not become too fat or lose too much weight. To know about the diet chart of your puppy, you can visit your vet.
- Exercise: During the coldest days, it may not possible to go outside for exercise with your lovely pooch. So, in this season, you can play some indoor games with him like indoor fetch.
These are just a few essential steps to keep your pet warm, healthy and safe in this winter season. As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to provide him a safe and warm environment in your home. If you are unable to take care of your pet during the winter, contact Mobile Vet Toronto for the help.